Israel has said its forces have attacked Hamas gunmen inside the militant group’s vast tunnel network beneath Gaza as fighting shows no sign of stopping. After the first successful rescue of a hostage held by Hamas, Israeli troops appeared to push further into Gaza, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejecting calls for a ceasefire. Hamas
World
Police are searching a forest in northern Colombia for the father of footballer Luis Diaz who was kidnapped on the weekend. Luis Manuel Díaz and his wife were at a petrol station in the small town of Barrancas on Saturday when they were abducted by armed men on motorcycles. The Liverpool star’s mother, Cilenis Marulanda,
Israel will not agree to a ceasefire as it would be equivalent to surrendering to Hamas and terrorism, Benjamin Nethanyu has said. The Israeli prime minister said his country would not stop military activity “just as the United States would not agree to a ceasefire after the bombing of Pearl Harbor or the terrorist attack
Benjamin Netanyahu’s warning that the war with Hamas is at the “beginning of the road” will have “attracted more concern internationally” amid fears about the declining humanitarian situation, Sky’s military analyst Sean Bell has said. He said there is also unlikely to be a reduction in Israel’s air campaign in Gaza despite the ground operation.
Israeli military operations in the Gaza Strip “will escalate”, the country’s chief military spokesperson has warned, as troops push deeper into the region. Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari said Israel Defence Forces (IDF) troops are deployed along the northern border and “prepared for any scenario”. Dozens of militants were killed overnight, he added, but he refused
Israel has warned of a long war to defeat Hamas, but it will surely be hoping to achieve its other main objective much faster – the rescue of more than 200 hostages. Ground troops have pushed into Gaza in what is being described the “second stage” of their offensive against the militant group that controls
The latest ground raid into Gaza by Israeli troops has an important distinction from previous incursions. This time the soldiers did not immediately pull out after their attack. Instead, they are “continuing the war” inside the northern part of the enclave in an expansion of Israel’s ground operation. The move is different to a large-scale
Israel will expand ground operations tonight and has warned residents of Gaza City to move south. Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, a spokesman for the Israel Defence Forces (IDF), said: “In addition to the attacks that we carried out in recent days, ground forces are expanding their activity this evening. “The IDF is acting with great
Israel accused Hamas of launching attacks from hospitals in Gaza, said this was a war crime and signalled that such action could make medical facilities a legitimate target. A military spokesperson claimed the Israeli authorities had “concrete evidence” that hundreds of Hamas fighters who took part in the 7 October terrorist atrocity in southern Israel
Israeli forces backed by warplanes and drones have carried out a second ground raid in Gaza as aid trickles into the besieged territory amid warnings of a deepening “humanitarian catastrophe”. The operation comes as the Israeli military prepares for a widely expected invasion of the Hamas-governed enclave. Meanwhile, US jets struck targets in eastern Syria
Russia’s new space station will come online in 2027, Vladimir Putin has said. Moscow‘s Roscosmos space agency committed to building its own orbital outpost last year, when it announced its departure from the International Space Station (ISS). Speaking during a visit to a rocket corporation in Korolyov, outside Moscow, Mr Putin said: “As the resources
There is likely to be a relative amount of cautious optimism from both the US and Chinese camps regarding the efforts to try and stabilise their relations. It feels that Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi’s visit to Washington, where he has met with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, has got off to a reasonably
China’s former deputy leader Li Keqiang has died after suffering a heart attack. The English-speaking economist, 68, had once been considered a contender for the country’s top job, but was passed over in favour of Xi Jinping. Under the centralising grip of President Xi and his amassing of ever-greater powers, China’s premier and second-in-charge became
Israel will carry out more limited incursions into Gaza before any attempt at a full-scale invasion. Commanders have said that their war against Hamas, which controls the Palestinian enclave, will be different to any of the previous conflicts between the two foes. It has already been notably different in terms of scale, with an unprecedented
China has launched its youngest ever crew into space ahead of its planned moon mission in 2030. Beijing’s Shenzhou 17 spacecraft took off in a Long March rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre on the edge of the Gobi Desert at 11.14am (3.14am UK time) today. Tang Hongbo, Tang Shengjie and Jiang Xinlin will
A UN relief agency in Gaza is now having to ration fuel – and make “excruciating decisions” about how its rapidly depleting supplies are used. The UNRWA has been sharing its stockpile so trucks can distribute aid, bakeries can feed people in shelters, and water can be desalinated. Fuel has also been sent to hospitals
A woman went to a clinic after struggling to sleep for days – where doctors found a spider crawling around inside her ear. The 64-year-old, from Taiwan, felt movement in her left ear for several nights in April, followed by clicking and rustling, before deciding to visit doctors. Doctors then found a small spider moving
Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he will have to “answer for what happened” on 7 October as he addressed the nation. Mr Netanyahu also vowed to “rain hellfire” on Hamas in a televised address but declined to provide any details on when a ground invasion may begin. Hamas fighters killed at least 1,400 people
Weeks on from one of the most destructive earthquakes in Afghanistan’s history, thousands of people in Herat are living in tents next to what remains of their homes. The 6.3-magnitude quake hit on 11 October, destroying entire villages and leaving more than 2,400 people dead. Women and children have been disproportionately affected by the disaster,
A Chinese container ship’s dislodged anchor caused damage to a Baltic Sea gas pipeline between Finland and Estonia, Finnish police believe. The Hong Kong-flagged cargo vessel Newnew Polar Bear is responsible for the damage earlier this month to the undersea Balticconnector pipeline spanning the Gulf of Finland, said the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), citing
- « Previous Page
- 1
- …
- 39
- 40
- 41
- 42
- 43
- …
- 68
- Next Page »